Sewing pattern testers
Thank you for your interest in my sewing patterns!
I hope that you will find everything you need on this page, but if you feel that something is missing, please send an e-mail with your question to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
What is a pattern tester?
A pattern tester is someone that tests a sewing pattern and provides feedback to the sewing pattern designer. It's a collaboration where I get to have my patterns and instructions tested with different sewists and you get to work with my new sewing patterns before they are released.
How does it work?
I work in sample size XS (European size 34) and welcome pattern testers of all sizes within my size range XS-XXL (34-44). My patterns are in English and I use the metric system (centimeters).
When I have completed a pattern and it's ready for pattern testing I will publish information on this page and share "sewing pattern testers needed" on my Instagram page @silversaga.se. Please apply for becoming a pattern tester by sending an e-mail to: email@example.com with following information:
- Your measurements (bust, waist, hip) and your size.
- Your Instagram handle.
- Your experience in sewing (beginner, intermediate or advanced). Include some photos of your previous sewing projects.
If you are chosen I will e-mail you to join the pattern testing group. The pattern and instruction will be shared in a Google drive folder. All conversations and feedback will take place through e-mails.
A sewing pattern testing timeline is 3 weeks:
- Week 1 is for testing the pattern with a muslin fabric, also known as making a toile (French for "canvas"). The toile is important because it will tell you necessary changes needed for the final garment. Choose an inexpensive fabric that is similar to your final fabric. Questions to ask yourself after the toile: Do I like the skirt and sleeve length? Does the waist hit at my natural waist or do I have to shorten or lengthen the waist? During this week you will send basic fit photos and feedback to my e-mail. The photos should showcase the garment being worn and point out any issues you may have. The fit photos will not be shared publicly, they are only to help me evaluate fit.
- Week 2 is for transferring the changes from the test garment to the pattern and make your second garment in the final fabric.
- Week 3 is for taking final photos and share your feedback with me through e-mail (such as construction process, the fit of the garment, and the clarity of instructions). When taking your final photos, keep the styling clean, take your photos in natural daylight and don’t use filters. A simple background with calm colors for showcasing your garment is always helpful. I would love to share your final photos on my Instagram and website, so please send your photos in high resolution.
What are my commitments as a pattern tester?
Keeping the 3 weeks deadline. If you are unable to complete the testing please let me know as soon as possible. Share final photos and feedback trough e-mail. If you are happy with your new garment, I would also love if you would share it in social media with the hashtag #silversagapatterns.
What will the sewing pattern testers receive?
As a thank you, you will receive a copy of the final digital sewing pattern and a personal 10% discount code in my website that can be used on finished garments, fabrics and other sewing patterns. The discount code has no expiration date.
What will the sewing pattern test include?
The sewing pattern will be sent in a digital format, that you can either print at home in A4 or send to a copy shop to print in A0. English instructions with illustrations will be included. I will be available throughout the pattern testing period to answer questions if needed.
Look at the current sewing patterns available for pattern testing here.